Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Business the South African Way :)

I sometimes write about pitching for new business. Well pitching for new business in South Africa can sometimes have subtle unexpected challenges (especially for me -- the poor guy from Benoni):

T
hree contractors - one from Lenasia , another from Pretoria , and the third from Benoni - are bidding to fix a broken fence at the Union Buildings in Pretoria .

They go with a Union Buildings official to examine the fence.

The Pretoria contractor takes out a tape measure, does some measuring, and then works some figures with a pencil. "Well," he says, "I figure the job will run about R900: R400 for materials, R400 for my crew, and R100 profit for me."

The Benoni contractor also does some measuring and figuring, then says, "I can do this job for R700: R300 for materials, R300 for my crew, and R100 profit for me."

The Lenasia contractor doesn't measure or figure, but leans over to the Union Buildings brother and whispers, "R2,700."

The official, incredulous, says, "You didn't even measure like the other guys! How did you come up with such a high figure?"

The Lenasia contractor whispers back, "R1000 for me, R1000 for you, and we hire the guy from Benoni to fix the fence."

"Done!" replies the government official.

Thanks to William McIlree for passing this on (it made me laugh)

1 comment:

Lilah Rhymes said...

Maybe I am losing my (sad) sense of humour...the mba schedule could probably be the reason...if I had one to start with...

...I thought that someone was describing a real case....the entrepreneurs I know all have examples like this...real ones...

Looking forward to July and the Advanced Entrepreneurship elective.

I am intrigued by the following concept: Bulungula back packers lodge (started by David Martin and wife Rene Woodroffe).Article in the Business Day - week 1 June 2008. It seems to address the sustainability issue, and uplifting of the community. But it doesn't seem like a high growth venture...Could I still use this as a framework for the business plan 1 pgr due on 31 July?